He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart;
he gently leads those that have young
. {Isaiah 40:11}

10 September 2010

{Lemon Glazed Cookies}

As soon as I tasted these amazing cookies I knew the recipe must be shared! Thankfully, my dear friend, Jenn was happy to pass on the recipe and went one step further to write the post for me. I'm sure her hubby didn't mind!
But enough from me... Here's Jenn...

So Krystle asked me to "guest blog" my Lemon Glazed Cookie recipe. I first made these cookies for a crowd (including Krystle) at a girls night I hosted. They were a hit. I made them again for my dear old British Grandma who loves anything lemon and sour (it's a British thing...) She loved them; she says they're "wonderful" with her tea. Now, the cookies are a constant request at almost every event I attend (along with the molasses cookies I make, recipe courtesy of Mom-Duff, strange combination if you ask me!)


Glazed Lemon Cookies
 The ingredients you will need:
Cookies:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbs. grated lemon zest
2 Tbs. fresh juice from 2 lemons
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
12 Tbs. (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter
1 large egg yolk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Glaze:
3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 cups powered (confectioner's) sugar



For The Cookies:
Cut the cold butter into ½ inch cubes and refrigerate until ready to use
 
 
In a food processor, process the granulated sugar and lemon zest until the sugar looks damp and the zest is thoroughly incorporated, about 30 seconds.
 
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the lemon sugar mixture and pulse to combine, about ten 1-second pulses. Scatter the cold butter pieces over the dry ingredients and pulse until the mixture resembles fine cornmeal, about 15 1-second pulses. 

In a separate small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk, vanilla, and lemon juice. With the processor running, add the juice mixture in a slow, steady stream. Continue processing until the dough begins to form into a ball (10-15 seconds.)

Turn the dough and any dry bits onto a clean work surface. Working quickly, gently knead the dough together until no dry bits remain.

Shape the dough into 2 logs, about 1 inch in diameter and wrap in parchment paper.

Chill the dough until firm and cold, about 45 minutes in the freezer or 2 hours in the refrigerator.

Adjust the oven racks to the upper- and lower-middle positions; preheat to 350 degrees.

Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicon cookie liners. Remove the dough from its wrapper and slice about 1/3 inch thick; place on cookie sheets.

Bake until the cookies begin to turn light golden brown, about 12-15 minutes. Be sure to rotate the cookie sheets back to front and top to bottom halfway through baking time to ensure even baking. Cool cookies on baking sheet for about 5 minutes then transfer to wire racks and cook completely.

For The Glaze: Whisk the lemon juice and the powdered sugar together until smooth.

Once the cookies are completely cooled, dip the top of each cookie into the glaze and return to the wire rack to set and dry, about 1 hour.

Tips:
*The dough can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and in the freezer for up to 2 weeks before baking.
* For bigger cookies, roll the dough into 1 log, 2+ inches in diameter and bake for a few minutes longer.
*The recipes suggest the cookies are best the day they are baked and glazed so they stay crisp. I prefer the cookie a little softer and chewer so I bake them a day ahead and glaze them the day they will be served.

These cookies are a combination of Real Simple “cookie of the day” email and from America’s Test Kitchen’s “Baking Illustrated” cookbook.

1 comment:

  1. These sound delicious! I can't wait to try them. I would love the molasses cookie recipe Jenn mentions, too. Is there any chance I can get that?

    ReplyDelete

I always love a good comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails