He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart;
he gently leads those that have young
. {Isaiah 40:11}

20 June 2011

{Homemade Nutella... he hem... Hazelnut Spread}

Good Morning. Afternoon? ... Evening?
{well, that should about cover it}
To be honest, I've never been a huge lover of Nutella hazelnut spread. When I was in France I had it on crepes made on a street cart on streets Paris and those were acceptable. 
Okay, they were actually delicious! 
Beyond that experience though, I don't really enjoy the stuff. I can't tell you why. Sorry. 
So why am I posting this, you ask? 
Because I have kids. And they like it. And I'm running low on ideas for feeding them.
That's all.
{To be fair to this recipe, it's tastes just like the original. It melts in your mouth. So yes, it's good.}
This is for you Tori...
I found this recipe and adapted it from Smitten Kitchen. I changed it up a tiny bit because I didn't have peanuts but I did have hazelnuts. {Go figure.} I'm pretty sure this would be amazing with peanuts though. 

What You'll Need:
2 cups of hazelnuts {purchased at Whole Foods}
1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 c powdered sugar
1/4 tsp salt or more to taste
4 T coconut oil

What To Do:
Set your oven to 350. Spread the hazelnuts out on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes until the skins begin to crack. Let the nuts cool a little. 
Remove as much of the bitter skin as you are able. I had great success with rubbing handfuls of nuts between my hands.
In a food processor, blend the nuts for 5 minutes until they liquify...
 not there yet... 
still not there... 
You'll actually hear it sound like liquid is sloshing around in there though it will look just like creamy peanut butter. 
Now, add in the cocoa, sugar, salt and 2 tablespoons of oil. Add more as needed to get the consistency you'd like. I ended up using closer to 4 tablespoons for mine. 
Ta Da! 

OH! I meant to add that this was a comparison trial. I also made the recipe found on the Tasty Kitchen's Blog on The Pioneer Woman
I don't know if I did something terribly wrong but this is what I got...
It looked like coffee grounds and tastes ... um... not good. 
So, that's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love a good comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails