He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart;
he gently leads those that have young
. {Isaiah 40:11}

27 August 2012

Berry Wine Jelly Recipe

I've been canning these days.
The end of the season is usually when I begin to feel the "Oh shoot! I better get canning" feeling.
I've stuck to my two standbys ... Tomato Soup and Peaches...
and branches out to tomato sauce and, one of my favorites, Berry Wine Jelly.

I originally found the recipe for the jelly in the Ball Complete Home Canning Book.
It's very simple, especially when you cheat a little to save time.
The results are a delicious, smooth, sweet strawberry wine flavored jelly.
If this sounds even remotely good to you I highly recommend trying it at least once.

What You'll Need:
1 cup strawberries, stems removed
2 ½ cups dry white wine
3 ½ cups granulated sugar
1 pouch liquid pectin
4 oz canning jars (Ball says the recipe makes 6 jars. I've had once recipe make up to 10 before)

What To Do:
Ball suggests using a potato masher to crush your strawberries... I whipped out the ol' blender.

Threw in the wine and strawberries and pulsed until the strawberries were thoroughly pulverized.
Pour mashed contents into jelly bag or sieve lined with several layers of cheese cloth and let sit over a bowl to drip for an hour.
After an hour pour contents of the bowl into a sauce pan, add sugar, and heat until it no longer stops boiling when stirred
During this step is a good time to get your jars ready for canning by laying them out on the counter and filling them with boiling water.

Once the right boil is reached add liquid pectin and continue to boil, this time stirring constantly for two minutes. Then quickly remove the pan from the stove, skim off the foam with a spoon, dump the hot water out of the jars and fill them with the berry wine leaving 1/4" headspace.

For me... this next step is the trickiest part. Trying to get 4 oz jars to sit in a water bath rack is nearly impossible for me without burning myself and cursing out loud.
a lot.
Because of this I have begun to drop the rack to the bottom before adding the jars and using tongs to place them gently on the bottom.  
Once you've made it past getting the jars in the water, wait for the water to reach a rolling boil again then process for 10 minutes. 

Let cool, store and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love a good comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails